Monday, September 24, 2018

#whyididntreport


#whyididntreport

High school: I only told my mom. But she didn’t suggest I tell others.  I was embarrassed.

Because I figured you kiss a lot of frogs before finding a prince.

Because I was manipulated so badly, I thought it was partially my fault. Many times.

Because it was my roommate’s boyfriend and didn’t want her to know. She'd be mad at me.

Because I didn’t know it was a crime. Just a jerk.

Because I stopped him from raping me. So I thought “nothing” happened.

Because I didn’t know who to tell. Many times.

Because I was mortified.

I called the police, but the police didn’t find them.

Because it happened so fast I couldn’t even process what happened.

Because it happened to my friend, and she didn’t call it “rape”. So it wasn’t my story to tell.

I told our mutual friend, and he told me to stay away from him. End of story.

Because this “first” felt like a violation. I didn’t know how it “should” feel.

#jamestoback Because it was just a “conversation”. I was lucky to never be alone with him.

Because I thought my situation was unique. It didn’t occur to me he was doing this to many others.

These are not hypothetical. These are mine. What are yours?

6 comments:

  1. because I felt like it was my fault that I couldn't stop him

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Told my high school debate coach who laughed it off. This guy was going to judge me in many debates the coming year and yes, I talked him out of it so "nothing happened."
    2. Old blind guy in a wheelchair. Just changed jobs. Didn't feel like a victim just in a situation in which I would rather not be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I willingly made out with him and went to a secluded spot with him, and let him touch me. And because what do I do when I consent, and then when it comes down to it, instead of "having sex", he violently drills me like I am his prison bitch, even though he knew I was a virgin, won't stop when I beg him to stop, and continuously says "you like that, don't you?" as I keep saying NO and STOP, and he has my wrists pinned to the floor? So many grey areas, and I was well aware that any conviction for acquaintance rape was unlikely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for being so brave to share. Please pass on this post. This discussion shouldn't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Because it was a teacher, a family member, a neighborhood friend, a good guy.
    2. Because I was dating him.
    3. Because I narrowly avoided it going worse.
    4. Because I had been drinking.
    5. Because I really needed an agent.
    6. Because my mentor, a very powerful Hollywood guy, told me it would be much better to let it roll off my back.
    7. Because we were in a band together.
    8. Because she was my teacher.
    9. Because it was not an option back then.
    10. Because I was told "laughter is the best medicine."
    11. Because I was indoctrinated myself. So glad we are breaking this apart. Thank you for posting and inviting us to share.
    XOOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So glad you shared. And so sorry to have those experiences. I hope everything is changing! XOOX

      Delete